Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Proper Nouns are Important

Our big focus this week in SWR and literacy is noticing proper nouns.  We notice them when we read and when we write.  Today we learned about nouns (people, places, things), and that there are two kinds- common and proper.  We talked about how common nouns are teacher, dog, football team, and book but proper nouns would be Mrs. Hershman, Tanner (a dog), the New York Giants, and Patches, Lost and Found.  We sorted common nouns from proper nouns and looked for them in sentences we read.

We are learning all about telling time in math.  We learned how to tell time to the nearest hour today.  Some of us even practiced telling time to the half-hour.  We learned that you can say times differently, but it means the same thing.  For example, you can say it is 1:30 or you can say, it is half-past one.  One of us even realized how to tell time to the nearest minute!  WOW!  She said, "Mrs. Hershman.  Someone asked me to show 3:33.  At first I thought I couldn't, but I put the hour hand on three, then I went to 3:30, then I went over THREE more spaces and I realized- that's 3:33!" We are always learning so much in our classroom.

In writing today our learning point was, "I can read my writing like I read books."  We practiced reading our stories with voice, fluently so it sounds just like a book!  We are excellent readers and writers.


No comments:

Post a Comment